Multi-Pitch Self-Rescue, 2-Day
Learn the skills necessary to implement a multi-pitch rescue when you’re a long way from the trailhead. You and the gear you have are your teams rescue resources. A must have skill set for all trad and sport climbers.
This training is an intensive 2-Day Course designed for most one-on-one and one-on-two rock rescue applications. This course is modeled after the standards applied by the American Mountain Guides Association. As part of the course, students will be trained and asked to perform a simulated rescue that includes the following.
We guide this course with low ratios to maximize student learning. 4:1 max ratio day one’s ground work and single pitch systems. 2:1 max ratio for day two’s multi-pitch systems work.
Skills taught but not limited to:
- Knots and hitches for rescue scenarios
- Hands free systems
- Escaping the belay and belay takeover
- Rescue raises (2:1 drop loop, 3:1, 5:1, 6:1) and lowers
- Ascending the rope
- Counter-balanced rescue
- Guide ATC, Reverso (proper use and release)
- Rescue rappel systems (tandem and counter balance)
- Knot pass techniques for lowering on damaged or tied ropes
- Risk manangement for rescue avoidance
Prior climbing experience, solid rope handling skills. Climbers will benefit with previous multi-pitch experience.
All ropes and anchor systems for self rescue systems. Download our gear list for participants required equipment.
- Elevenmile Canyon in the South Platte
- Turkey Rock in the South Platte
- Cheyenne Canyon in Colorado Springs
2019 Public Course Dates:
- August 3-4
- September 28-29
- October tbd
See our Calendar for public course dates.
Public Course Pricing
- 16 hour public course (2-day)
- Price is per person
- 4:1 max. ratio
- 2:1 min. ratio to run course
Call 719-368-9524 or contact us to book this course for one or more climbers.
As always, this course can be scheduled any day of the week as private instruction. Private courses for 3 or more climbers qualify for discounted rates.
Private Course Pricing
1 climber, 1 guide
2 climbers, 1 guide
3 climbers, 1 guide
4 climbers, 1 guide
- 16 hour private (2-day)
- Prices are per person
- 4:1 max. ratio (or 8:2).
Call 719-368-9524 or contact us to book a private for one or more climbers.
Pikes Peak Alpine School operates under special use permits from the USDA Forest Service, Pike National Forest and is an equal opportunity service provider & employer