The AMGA Single Pitch Instructor (SPI) Program teaches climbing instructors to proficiently facilitate and instruct the sport of rock climbing in a single pitch setting. The SPI is the only internationally recognized single pitch climbing instructor certification program in the United States. It was developed to fit in the AMGA Rock program.
- It significantly improves the instructor’s skill sets and integrates into the next level of training, the AMGA Rock Instructor Course.
- The program is for current, active rock climbers who have a real desire to teach rock climbing to novices in a single pitch setting.
- The SPI Course is a 27-hour training course that normally runs as three consecutive nine-hour days or day classes with evening sessions.
- The SPI Assessment is a minimum of 16 hours run over a two-day period.
- Certification lasts for three years as long as the candidate keeps current AMGA Membership and First Aid Certification.
- After three years current SPI’s can re-take the SPI Assessment to regain the SPI certification.
- Taking any higher level AMGA Course also recertifies the SPI certification for another three years.
- You are a Professional Member of the AMGA
- You have a genuine interest in rock climbing and instructing novices on single pitch crags
- You are at least 18 years old at the time of the course
- You have at least 12 months prior climbing experience
- You are an active climber with traditional lead climbing experience (leader placing pro)
- You have led a minimum of 15 traditional rock climbing routes (any grade)
- You are capable of comfortably climbing 5.8 while on a top rope
The above prerequisites are absolute minimums. Without having at least this amount experience you are unlikely to make best use of the training.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Join the AMGA (or log-in to your existing account)
-Join the AMGA at the Professional Membership Level.
Step 2: Apply to Your Course or Assessment
-Sign in to your myAMGA account.
-Click the “Apply for a Program” tab.
-Select the discipline and course type you are applying to.
-Select the specific program you are applying to and click “apply.”
-Confirm your prerequisites.
Eleven Mile Canyon
Garden of the Gods
May 16-18 (Course)
-Certified AMGA Rock Instructor and SPI Provider
-Rock Climbing: The AMGA Single Pitch Manual ($21.95)
-AMGA membership, Join the AMGA
-Students must bring their own climbing gear
-Transportation, 11 Mile Canyon entrance fee ($6 if required), food, travel and medical insurance.
Pikes Peak Alpine School operates under special use permits from the USDA Forest Service, Pike National Forest and is an equal opportunity service provider & employer